I share this story, not to embarrass myself, but to have it written down to remember and share with Connor what he put his Mommy through :-)
Connor and I got home for the day and he was scoring goals in the family room. I ran out to the garage to check on something and was out there for literally less than a minute. When I tried to come back in I heard Connor messing with the handle. I went to turn the knob and the door was locked! My heart started racing and I went into panic mode. I was locked in our garage by my 1 year old without an keys or phone. I started knocking on the door and yelling for Connor-- he would just knock back. Then I started messing with he handle and told him to turn the knob-- he would just yell back "turn knob, turn knob". I told myself to think-- I knew our front door was locked, but I also knew our deck door was open because I had put the cat outside when I got home. The problem is we do not have stairs up to our deck. I looked at the ladder we have in our garage and was trying to decide if it was tall enough to get me far enough up the deck were I could shimmy the rest of the way (probably not the best option!) After about 5 minutes of knocking back and forth with Connor I decided that I should go to the neighbors and call the police. Connor figured out how to turn the lock once, but the chance of him doing it again was close to impossible. Now I just have to figure out how to explain to the police that my 1 year old locked me out of the house. Just as I was walking away I heard a click. I thought surely he didn't unlock it. But as I stepped up to the door and turned the knob, what I thought was impossible happened-- Connor unlocked the door!!
What I learned from this parenting experience: Never underestimate the ability of a 1 year old and never go into the garage without a key.
No comments:
Post a Comment